CHEF’S TIPS ON BISCUITS
Making biscuits from a mix is easy when a few simple steps are followed:
- Pour the liquid into a large mixing bowl and then add the dry mix.
- Use a bowl scraper to gently incorporate the liquid into the mix, turning the bowl one quarter turn between each stroke (similar to folding technique).
- Once all moisture is incorporated, turn dough out onto a floured surface or biscuit cloth (dough will be sticky). Flour surface of dough.
- Roll dough to ½ inch thickness. For uniform biscuits, roll in all directions and apply very little pressure (let the rolling pin do the work!).
- Cut using a floured biscuit cutter. Do not use a dulled edge cutter such as an inverted glass. Do not twist when cutting, for uniform rising.
- Place biscuit dough onto parchment lined baking sheets, with sides of biscuits touching. Use leftover dough to make a dough “snake” to line any exposed sides.
- For best results, do not re-work dough more than once.