CHEF’S TIPS ON GRAVY
A flavorful gravy or sauce can make even the most inexpensive proteins delectable. Here are 10 helpful tips that will result in perfect gravy every time it is prepared!
- Use the water temperatures recommended on the gravy package.
- Bring the water to a full rolling boil on the stovetop.
- Avoid using pump dispensers.
- Maintain steam table temperature at 165°F or above.
- If storing, divide the gravy into shallow stainless steal pans to cool immediately in the refrigerator.
- If re-heating gravy, make sure to use a stove and bring gravy back to at least 165°F quickly.
- Prepare gravy needed only for immediate service.
- Store unopened gravy packages at room temperature.
- Avoid “double dipping”. Enzymes in saliva will thin gravy (even very small amounts).
- Keep fingers, used spoons, and dirty utensils out of the prepared gravy.