CHEF’S TIPS ON ROLL DOUGH
Entice your customers with the aroma of fresh baked rolls. Whether served as a side bread, a bread basket, or as a sandwich, you can have perfect rolls every time with a few simple steps:
- Keep dough frozen (0°F or below) until it is panned for proofing.
- Brush a muffin pan or sheet pan lightly with liquid margarine or vegetable oil spray (or use parchment paper).
- Place one frozen dough piece in each muffin cup. If using a full size sheet pan, place roll dough pieces in an 8 x 5 configuration.
- Hold pan overnight in refrigerator (40°F) for 10 to 12 hours or thaw dough pieces at room temperature prior to proofing. Cover the dough to prevent drying.
- Proof the dough at 110°F to 120°F in a proof box or on top of the oven for approximately one hour, or until the dough has risen and tripled in size.
- Preheat a standard oven to 375°F – 400°F (350°F convection oven).
- Bake in a preheated standard oven for 12 – 15 minutes (6 to 8 convection).
- Brush lightly with liquid margarine upon removal from oven.